We know solar panels are the most effective way to help Mother Earth and take advantage of the Sun’s power with little or no maintenance costs. But everyone’s not buying the idea of replacing what most people around the globe are using – coal, oil and natural gas. It is good though that we have several sources of energy, so when the other is lacking or depleting, another one can be used as an alternative source.
Listed here are the many advantages and disadvantages of solar panels, but in the long term, the pros outweighs the cons.
1. Solar energy is free although there is a cost in the building of ‘collectors’ and other equipment required to convert solar energy into electricity or hot water.
2. Solar energy does not cause pollution. However, solar collectors and other associated equipment / machines are manufactured in factories that in turn cause some pollution.
3. Solar energy can be used in remote areas where it is too expensive to extend the electricity power grid.
4. Many everyday items such as calculators and other low power consuming devices can be powered by solar energy effectively.
5. It is estimated that the worlds oil reserves will last for 30 to 40 years. On the other hand, solar energy is infinite (forever).
How Solar Panels Work
Solar Panels have quite a few disadvantages, here are some of them:
1. Solar energy can only be harnessed when it is daytime and sunny.
2. Solar collectors, panels and cells are relatively expensive to manufacture although prices are falling rapidly.
3. Solar power stations can be built but they do not match the power output of similar sized conventional power stations. They are also very expensive.
4. In countries such as the UK, the unreliable climate means that solar energy is also unreliable as a source of energy. Cloudy skies reduce its effectiveness.
5. Large areas of land are required to capture the suns energy. Collectors are usually arranged together especially when electricity is to be produced and used in the same location.
6. Solar power is used to charge batteries so that solar powered devices can be used at night. However, the batteries are large and heavy and need storage space. They also need replacing from time to time.
To sum it up, Solar Panels and other sources of energy are not permanent and all have several pros and cons. None of these natural sources last forever but looking at long term benefits, in terms of maintenance costs, global market economic fluctuations, helping the environment, Solar Panels exceed the limitations of other natural sources.
If you are planning on having solar panels installed on your homes and offices call your trusted local Denver Electrician, Hardcore Electric at (720)841-3897 and look for Travis.