If you own and/or operate a business, you may run into maintenance tasks and repairs that you are tempted to handle on your own. Not only does this save money, but – depending on the task that needs to be done – it may save time, too. In many instances, it is perfectly safe to engage in DIY maintenance and repairs. That is, if you have the skills, tools, and knowledge to handle such activities.

One area that should be avoided is DIY electrical repairs. These jobs come with a high risk that you may sustain an injury. Additionally, just one mistake could result in death. If your business is experiencing electrical issues, you should not hesitate to contact a commercial electrician.

Here are some very important reasons you should not do your own electrical work

  • Electrical Fires
  • Inspection Failures
  • Hefty Fines
  • Electrical Shock
  • Outlet Issues
  • Equipment and Appliance Issues

Read about each below.

Man Repairing Electrical Wiring

Electrical Fires

If you lack the training and expertise to engage in DIY electrical repairs, you are putting the building of your business at risk for an electrical fire. The simple misplacement of just one wire could result in the development of instantaneous flames. A fire is capable of complete destruction of your property. Even the smallest amounts of damage from a fire could result in months of repairs.

Additionally, a fire could put you, your employees, vendors, and your customers at risk. Regardless of where the fire starts or how much damage it does, it will have detrimental financial consequences for your business. It is best to hire a commercial electrician right from the beginning and avoid any of these situations from occurring.

Inspection Failures

Before your business is allowed to open for service, it must pass an inspection. One of the most critical of these inspections is the one that covers the electrical system of the building. You may think that you have what it takes to handle your own electrical work and outsmart the electrical inspectors, but it is something that you just don’t want to attempt.

If you make an attempt to handle your own electrical work, it will catch up with you. You may end up having to pay hefty fines, may not be allowed to open your business, or you may end up having to pay heavy expenses for repairs and replacements. It is best to simply start with a commercial electrician. By having a professional handle all of your maintenance, repairs, and replacements – in terms of your electrical system – you will be able to pass all inspections with ease!

Hefty Fines

Performing DIY electrical work and not being licensed is against the law. If you are found guilty of this, you and/or your business can face hefty fines. This may be up to or in slight excess of $10,000 for individual fines and up to $500,000 for businesses.

The fines are dependent upon the state or the territory where the work was performed. In addition to this, a prison sentence of two years may be imposed. If the violation results in the injury or death of an individual or more than one person, the penalties and the prison term may prove to be larger and lengthier.

Electrical Shock

When you do DIY work, you have a high chance of getting shocked. While not all electrical shocks are deadly, any shock at all is not good. Electricity is very dangerous. If it is not approached with expertise and with caution, it can be deadly.

Any shock has the ability to lead to an injury.

All shocks have the potential to be deadly, depending on the components and circumstances involved. You may even do an electrical repair and not experience a shock, but someone that comes around that repair afterwards could sustain a shock.

By hiring a commercial electrician, you can rest assured that the project will be approached with the skills, tools, and knowledge that is necessary to avoid any residual complication following its completion.

Outlet Issues

While overloading with appliances is one issue that may be experienced when it comes to outlets, it is not the only issue. If water has made it near an outlet, it can be exceptionally dangerous if you perform DIY electrical work. Water conducts electricity in an excellent manner. If you come in contact with both water and electricity, you are going to experience a severe shock or a fire is going to develop.

While we are in the topic, remember to never use water on an electrical fire. You could experience an electrical shock and the fire has the potential to grow out of control more quickly. Instead, only use a fire extinguisher on electrical fires and do not go too close to the fire. A commercial electrician knows how to handle all outlet issues without experiencing complications. It is best to enlist a professional for all of these types of projects.

Equipment and Appliance Damage

The next issue that could stem from attempting DIY electrical work is the possibility that while doing the work, you may inadvertently damage the appliances and the equipment in your business. This may include computers, printers, security systems, telephones, modems, routers, and more!

Any undue electrical surge has the ability to negatively impact the items that you have plugged in at your business. This includes both the items you use to run your business and anything plugged in that you may have for sale in your business.

While insurance may cover these items in natural events, they are not likely to cover these items if they discover you were doing unlicensed electrical work in the building.

Hardcore Electric Can Help!

We here at Hardcore Electric have the tools, resources, equipment, and knowledge to handle any type of electrical job in your business. Our specialty is in both commercial electrical projects and industrial electrical projects. We are a regional industry leader in maintenance, service calls, and more! We also offer professional and licensed emergency services that are available 24/7. Regardless of your issue, no job is too small or too large! If you need us, just contact us today.